Saturday, March 8, 2014

Ode to the Old Oldsmobile

I'm not necessarily against getting new things; I'm just against getting new things when they aren't needed. Too often I think people's default response is to replace something instead of repair it. Minimalism has helped me greatly when it comes to these matters. I've learned over the last few years to question buying instead of mindlessly doing so as is the usual.

Today I am specifically referring to my car that happens to need a little t.l.c. It is a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero with around 134,000 miles. My husband has been hounding me to get rid of my car as he says that it is too old and in need of too many repairs. I say it is nicely broke in. :) Oh, and did I mention that my car is paid off? Yeah. So its a little hard for me to voluntarily sign up for car payments again. I'd love to do the no car thing and ride my bicycle everywhere, but I'm not quite there yet... 

Anyway, my car shakes a bit at interstate speeds, which I think I can remedy by replacing the rims and tires that have given me nothing but issues since their purchase/installation years ago and then possibly the struts. It also has an oil leak in the head gasket (no I am not car savvy, but my husband is) and a few other minor inconveniences. All in all, though, I am pretty sure that with a less than $4,000 investment my car can run like a top again. Now, if I look for a car that has the exact same features as mine for under $10,000, I end up finding cars that have about the same mileage as mine. And then I would have no idea what is broken or will break on it in another 10,000 miles. Sooooooo... I'm thinking that investing less than half of that to make my existing debt free car work great looks like a MUCH better option than sinking at least $10,000 into a car that will inevitably need the same t.l.c. as my Alero. Repairing it also bonds me with the car. (I know, kinda weird.) But if you've ever taken the time to repair something, then you know that it makes it all that more valuable to you.

I'm sure my husband will continue to express his opinion, and I'm sure we will have many more discussions about the matter in the near future. However, I am standing firm on this one. More often than not, I concede to him and his lust of shiny new things. This time I'm sticking with my well worn not-so-new car.

Have you ever had the mental (or spousal) battle of repair vs replace?

2 comments:

  1. It's refreshing to read of a young person who eschews the fast-food mentality as currently applied to consumerism. IMHO, quality trumps quantity any day - and as our world drowns under a detritus of discarded, cast-off objects (from disposable plates to disposable vehicles), we are quickly digging our own grave with every trip to buy, buy, buy as much and more than most of us can possibly use/afford.

    I wish everyone would stop for just a moment and take the long view, as you have so intelligently done. By all means repair, and extend the life of your car as long as you possibly can. It is better to buy once (when one can), and to buy wisely.

    I hope you can convince your dear Hubby to take the long view. Maybe you could throw a little persuasion his way with homemade lasagna or a tempting chocolate cheesecake lol They say a way to a man's heart is thru his stomach, as I'm sure your mother would agree ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I will try for the cheesecake route! We are having some difficulty finding a used part for the latest mechanical failure, cruise control, so his patience is wearing ever thinner. I am still holding strong, though! Just for fun, I did some car shopping online and looked at all sorts of cute new and used vehicles. Then I would click the little "x" in the corner of the screen and walk away. It actually felt pretty darn great to beat the temptation. And when I look at my car, I still love it. It is showing its age some now, but it has been with me all these years and during some pretty challenging times in my life... Well, now it needs my help, and I am determined to return the favor!

      Delete